Tag line

It's all about context...

Monday, August 31, 2015

Short Review: An Important Biography of a Radical Black Feminist

I've got a new hero (not only feminist, but a fierce warrior against all forms of discrimination), and she doesn't look anything like me. I had never heard of her before reading this book, in fact (a symptom of a significant problem in itself.) She reminds me of a black Molly Ivins, although she predated her by several years. (Perhaps I should say Molly Ivins resembled a white Flo Kennedy). In any event, this is a must-read.

The author, Sherie Randolph, worked with Kennedy's remaining papers - much had been destroyed for various reasons - but there was enough to craft an in-depth biography of a remarkable woman (a lawyer by training) who fought for justice during the 1960s and '70s against insane odds. I haven't heard "Black Lives Matter" activists mention her, but they're on the same page.

Highly recommended.

I obtained a free copy of this book from Netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

1 comment:

Jane D said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.